Elendil Voronda

Elendil Voronda
The Last Alliance of Men and Elves.

Friday 18 May 2012

St Machar's Episcopal Church, Bucksburn



Nestled away in the secrecy of  Old Meldrum Road, between Aberdeen International Airport and Aberdeen City proper, stands this little temple of holiness and praise. Not to be confused with it's famous namesake St Machar's Cathedral, this building, although not as imposing as the Church of Scotland Cathedral has a lot to offer.

I attended an Ascension Day Service in this particular church yesterday and it was a wonderful experience. Although we were few in number, six in all, which is not a surprise when you attend church in the north east of Scotland, rather it is the rule than the exception, it was a profoundly moving and spiritual Eucharistic Service. It is one of those services that is now ingrained in my memory and I dare say that in years to come I will recall what happened here to those with ears to listen.

I was aware of the existence of St Machar's Church, (It shall henceforth be referred to as St Machar's Church, to save any confusion) many years ago, but never bothered to attend, because it was somewhat out of the way, indeed Bucksburn itself is a bus journey away from Numenorian Exile's current location. I was not alone on the occasion of this journey, a dear friend was also with me and we both decided yesterday to take the bus from the city centre to Bucksburn.

Arriving at the church we were given a wonderful welcome, and told that the service would be taking place in the sanctuary in it's entirety, therefore we would have to sit in the choir stalls. Opening the doors to the main body of the church one's eyes are instantly drawn to the altar and the beautiful sanctuary. Hand painted murals of the life of Christ adorn the ceiling of the sanctuary, painted I am led to believe by a famous Scottish artist. Advancing along the aisle, which is plain, yet wholesome, you approach the most beautiful altar, and I am delighted that the church has managed to maintain it's choir stalls, such a common feature of Scottish Episcopal Churches in the North East, is the removal of choir stalls.

We sat with a few of the locals and it was a beautiful Eucharist, the priest in charge using a combination of liturgies, the Scottish Prayer Book, both the Red Version and the Blue Book. Hymns Ancient and Modern, and the most beautiful reflection.

The Priest in charge, who I know very well, and who it is fair to say is ripe in years, moved a chair in front of the altar after the reading of the gospel, and sat down. Here in this simple act I felt that some wise sage was imparting wisdom to his faithful followers, indeed perhaps more akin to the prophets of ancient Israel, he sat and gave us the must beautiful reflection on Ascension Day. I can't remember the full in's and out's of the address, but I do know that at the time I felt a very much an inward dwelling of the Holy Spirit. It was a most uplifting experience.

I knew that this place was special when I was able to pray, properly pray, without distraction and within an instant, normally it takes me a while to get into the zone, so to speak, but here I was unusually receptive. 

The conclusion of the Rite was beautiful. The whole service had a profound sense of the sacred and the presence of the spirit was there, everyone could feel it, a woman turned to my friend and I at the end and said, "that was so very special because you both where here", I mean what can you say to that? This church did not need gimmicks, it did not need all the modern things that all the other "trendy" churches offer, what this church offers is simple, it offers Christianity.

I will remember St Machar's Church now and forever more in my prayers.

   

No comments:

Post a Comment